PLATEAU STATE POLITECHNIC HOSTEL GUTTED BY FIRE ON TUESDAY

Reports has it that the female hostel of the Plateau State Polytechnic, Jos campus, was yesterday gutted by fire, destroying properties and certificates of students.

According to report the fire which began around  9:30am, was as a result of gas explosion from room 18, where a female student was trying to cook noodles.

An ND 2 student of Marketing Department, Comfort Silas, said that her certificates and other properties got burnt in the fire.

Many girls went for lectures and there were few people around at that time. Before many of the students could come back, the fire has already consumed their properties. Some people were able to rescue some things however, but majority of the students lost all their properties. I lost my certificates and other properties to the fire,” she said.

In her reaction, the Matron, Mrs Rita Gidado, said she thanked God that no life was lost, adding that she has calmed the students down and told them to live everything to God. Soo many students were affected including students who came outside the state. The state legislators and other top government officials have visited the scene with the promise to assist anyway possible.

Meanwhile, the Rector of the Polytechnic, Mr Dauda Gyemang, described the incident as shocking and a great loss to the institution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *