Federal Government to shut down Lagos mainland bridge for 72 hours

The Federal Government has announced plans to shut down the Lagos Third Mainland Bridge for another 72 hours.

This, according to the Controller of Works Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola is to cast concrete on the expansion joints.

Popoola told Newsmen in Lagos on Tuesday 23th December, that the shutdown will take effect from midnight on Saturday to midnight on Tuesday.

He added that construction works had reached the stage for casting concrete on additional three expansion joints.

“There is going to be a total closure of Third Mainland Bridge to allow for the casting of three number expansion joints on the Island Bound lane

” The effective date of the closure will be from midnight on the 25th of December. So people will be allowed to use the Third Mainland Bridge to celebrate Christmas.

“By the time the Christmas is winding down which is midnight, we are going to close it so that we will be able to cast the concrete on Saturday the 26th and 27th we cast again.

” And we need about 72 hours for this concrete to set. Therefore, the opening will be on the 28th December midnight, that is 72-hour closure.

“This is to prevent vibration of the bridge. If we allow vehicles to be moving on one lane, there is going to be vibrations and the concrete will not set properly,” he said.

The controller said that all the alternative routes were in good condition and traffic regulatory agencies had been deployed to effectively divert and manage traffic to avert gridlock.

He appealed to road users to cooperate with traffic regulatory agencies.

Similarly, Popoola announced a 48 hours partial closure of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway from Dec. 28 to Dec. 29 to complete some work on a fly over the bridge on the project.

The contractor, Messers Julius Berger wants to install cross beams at Kilometre 16, that is, around MFM,” he said.

Popoola. also said that the Piers were already standing on both sides of the road and the contractor was to lay the cross beam on top across the road.

“That area will be cordoned off, there will be closure within that section from noon on 28th of December and it will be opened to traffic by 5:00 am the following day.

” 200 meters to get to that particular location we have diversion and another diversion 200 meters away from that place.

“One lane will be opened to traffic, it is only one lane we are closed to traffic at a time. The first lane that we are going to close is outward Lagos, that is the Ibadan bound carriageway, we will close it on the 28th.

” And then the 29th, second day, we are moving to the other lane which in inward Lagos. The same 12:00 pm to 5:00 am,” Popoola said.

He appealed for patience and understanding of road users saying that the construction was part of the progress that the Federal Government had achieved on the project.

We regret all the inconvenience and hardship this might have created,” he said.

Curled: from Reuben Abati

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *